HAPPY 4th OF JULY!
Source: Munchkin Munchies
- Make and bake the sugar cookies (3.5-inch scalloped, square cookie cutter, and a 1.5-inch star cutter for the shapes used here.) Let the cookies cool completely.
- Using an edible marker (and ruler) draw a template of the stripes onto the cookie.
- Make some royal icing. Tint some of it red, some of it blue (just enough for the stars and dots), and leave some of it white.
- Outline the entire flag template in white royal icing (thicker consistency for outlining) with a #2 tip. Let dry for about 15 minutes.
- Thinning the royal icing to a “fill” consistency, load up a frosting bag, and with a #3 tip, fill in every other stripe with white royal icing. Let dry for at least an hour.
- While the white stripes dry, outline (#2 tip) and fill in the stars (#3 tip) with the blue icing. Set them aside.
- After the white stripes have set up, fill an icing bag with the red icing(“fill” consistency) and using a #3 tip, fill in the remaining alternate stripes. (Save some thicker royal icing (any color) to adhere the stars to the flags when they are completely dry.)
- Let cookies dry completely.
- Apply the sugar to the stars by combining 1/4 teaspoon of meringue powder with 1/4 teaspoon water. Apply to iced stars with a small, clean paint brush. Immediately sprinkle with blue sugar and shake off excess.
- Using the royal icing as paste, apply some to the back of the star cookies, and press them gently onto the flags.
- With a #2 tip, apply blue royal icing dots evenly around the perimeter of the flag cookies.