Makes 16 to 20
1 carrot, peeled and grated
2-3 small purple potatoes, peeled and grated
1 parsnip, peeled and grated
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup fontina cheese, grated
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1/2 cup rice flour (can substitute all-purpose flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
extra salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup sour cream
1. Squeeze as much liquid out of the grate root vegetables as possible.
2. Place carrot, potatoes, parsnip, garlic, and fontina into a mixing bowl and toss together.
3. Add egg white, flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Mix together until well combined. Allow mixture to sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Pour oil into a heavy bottom skillet and place over medium-high heat.
5. Place a few, 2 tablespoon mounds into the skillet and gently press to flatten.
6. Pan fry for 4 to 6 minutes. Flip and fry for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Drain on paper towel and lightly season with salt and pepper.
8. Repeat until all fritters have been made. Serve immediately with sour cream.